Thursday 24 December 2009

101 in 1001 : 63 Coming in to land


I'm back from Dublin, none the worse for the weather (although it was blinkin' freezing there was no snow until I got back over here. The NW looked especially white as we flew back over it.)

Had a fab time being a tourist. The hotel was exceedingly posh - but about a mile outside the city centre which did my pedometer step count no end of good. (That is, until I discovered the local bus services...).

The economic recession has really hit home in Dublin. It's always been an expensive place but it's obvious now that people are struggling. Everywhere you look in the tourist areas there are people begging and hustling just to stay alive. Lots of homeless people, too. Instead of feeling guilty about it, it's prodded me into making a donation to the Salvation Army who do such a good job helping people whose only place is out on the streets. I've paid for a soup run - I hope it helps just a bit.

So - for an update on the listy thing:

4. Had a brief swim at the hotel (6 lengths, I said it was brief!) but I was really only there for the sauna :)

7. Step count is now 91,644/202,000

14. Done! I happened to get to Christchurch Cathedral just at the start of a service so I crept in and sat at the back.

24. £150 now in the terramundi!

25-28 and 44-45. Steady progress on all these. The budget is looking really good considering it's Christmas and considering I've just been to one of the most overpriced places in Europe! Mind you, I haven't had to buy any food as I'm only back here until lunchtime today when I go off to my parents for the rest of Christmas.


35. I can highly recommend Fan's Cantonese resturant, Dame Street Dublin. I had their "Early Bird" set special and it was delicious :)

63. Done!

77. Done!


96. So that's another three things complete.

1 comment:

  1. Well done on getting things started and on the completed items - and yes the Salvation Army is a good charity to give to (even for people myself that aren't Christian)

    ReplyDelete