Monday 15 February 2010

Time for an update!

Life's been....frantic!

Work is approaching the end-of-year frenzy when I try to get all the things done I said I would (as well as all the others things that have been dumped upon me from a great height). It's better than being bored. Marginally.

Finances are going well - up to 39% of my rainy day fund (6 month's net wages) and I have £158 in £2 coins in the terramundi.

Not read a book recently, and hardly taken a photo - bad me!

Lent starts on Wednesday so I'm giving up booze until Good Friday. Bit of self denial is good for the soul. Or summat.

Baking - inspired by a colleague's new kitchen (put in by her OH during eight months of evenings and weekends' work) I dug out my old battered bread machine. First loaf was delicious and lasted well. I seem to recall losing faith in the machine the best part of four years ago when the resulting product went stale faster than I could eat it. Maybe I'm making smaller loaves now? Anyway - Allison's strong wholewheat and added seeds flour makes marvellous bread. Nom nom nom.

Getting back from work tonight I decided to try an old packet of cheese'n'onion bread mix that had been sitting in the cupboard for a while. When I say "a while"....is twelve months past its Use By Date shameful? Meh! Anyway...12 month out of date yeast is apparently unrevivable. There is now a warm, cheese flavoured brick sitting in my bin...it honestly wasn't good enough even to give to the birds. Unless we've got a local woodpecker with an industrial drill for a beak and the stomach of a cast iron elephant...

So, another loaf is now waiting to be made - but I've been adventurous and put it on overnight timer. Last time I tried this I lived in a different flat and the whirrings, rumblings and occasional beepings kept me up all night. This time there are two rooms and three doors between us, so I'm hoping for a peaceful night and an aromatic awakening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment